Saturday, September 24, 2016

Book Review: The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury






The Sin Eater's Daughter

by 

Melinda Salisbury


Synopsis


A startling, seductive, deliciously dark debut that will shatter your definition of YA fantasy. Sixteen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she's engaged to the prince, no one speaks to her. No one even looks at her. Because Twylla isn't a member of the court. She's the executioner.As the goddess-embodied, Twylla kills with a single touch. So each week, she's taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love her. Who could care for a girl with murder in her veins? Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to her touch, avoids her.But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose playful smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he's able to look past Twylla's executioner robes and see the girl, not the goddess. Yet a treasonous romance is the least of Twylla's problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies-a plan that requires an unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?






Review


This book has been on my TBR ever since I saw the cover and read the blurb. Unfortunately I read a not so great review from one of my favorite reviewers, so that discouraged me a bit. I still had it on my Goodreads list, so I got an email when a giveaway was happening. I won! I received an autographed hardcover copy in the mail and I'm SOOO happy that I had the opportunity to read it.

Although this story takes place in a faraway kingdom long ago, (my favorite setting) it took awhile to get going. There was just enough intrigue to keep me turning the pages, however a good chunk of the book was gone before it felt like the story was getting somewhere. And I can't quite put my finger on it, but the beginning also seemed a little dark for me and kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Not because of the story or the writing. Both were fantastic. I just kind of felt gloomy after I'd close the book. Also, just a side note, it also felt like the story couldn't decide if it wanted to have a supernatural element or not. One minute, gods and magic exist, the next they don't, wait yes they do...maybe? Oh, but this other magic is definitely legit. I was confused, but maybe that was okay because so was the main character.

I almost quit. But I could tell something was brewing and I wanted to be a part of it. Once the story got going and I got used to the world, it didn't feel weird anymore. I loved the intricate plot and how all those little things that didn't seem to mean anything all came back in the end. After the rocky beginning, I was surprised by how much I thought about the book during the day and couldn't wait to get home to read it.

The Sin Eater's Daughter is full of shock and is the perfect hopeless romance. I finished the book last night and immediately added The Sleeping Prince to my TBR and Christmas list. If you love unique magic, castle drama, and don't mind a slow start, definitely give this a try.


 4 Stars

* * * * 



No comments:

Post a Comment