Thursday, October 29, 2015

Why I'm Not Participating In NaNoWriMo...but maybe you should.






That time of year is fast approaching when ambitious writers padlock themselves in dark, soundproof rooms and slave over an unforgiving keyboard. If you're the least bit interested in becoming an author you've probably heard about National Novel Writing Month, a contest held every November. The idea is that you devote the entire 30 days in the month to writing a new novel of at least 50,000 - start to finish.

As their website states, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever wanted to write a novel. It's a great push for those of us who have made every excuse in the book to finally start that work of a lifetime. Anyone who completes the 50,000 word count is considered a NaNo winner. Very few participants come out of this writing boot camp unscathed, but I've never heard someone regret the experience.

So why don't I participate in National Novel Writing Month?

It's simple. Because I'm always writing. In years past I could have joined the revolution and probably should have, but I didn't. Until the entirety of Onyx Moon was on paper, there was no way my mind could wrap around a fresh concept. And I won't lie. Back then I didn't have the drive and devotion that it takes to hide away from society and focus completely on writing for 30 days - even as amazing as that sounds now. Sigh.

Nowadays, I've always got a project or two going. Right now, I'm focusing on the second book in the Onyx Moon Trilogy while I'm waiting to get my the manuscript for my upcoming novel back from my editor. Then, it will be corrections and revisions non-stop until the deadline.

I don't want anyone to think I "disapprove" of NaNo just because I'm a writer and I've never done it. Yes, shame on me, but, I've never really needed it. The contest is a great motivation for people who need that kick in the pants to get started. Even if you don't win  --- look! You've actually gone through on your New Year's resolution and have a first draft of a novel! Or at least more than what you started with 30 days ago.

I'm just not one of those people who need it right now. Since I made the decision to devote my spare time to my stories, I haven't stopped. But if the time ever comes when November rolls around and I have an idea I'd like to start, you bet I'd jump on that wagon.

If you're thinking of signing up for NaNoWriMo, just know that it isn't easy completing an entire first draft in 30 days. Writer and blogger, Nicole Lautore, wrote a very informative post about the obstacles you're bound to face - and how to trudge through them - once you hit the "sign me up" button.

(found this on Pinterest) 









1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the referral! I really appreciate it. And I totally understand if NaNo isn't for you. It's all personal preference. Great post!

    ReplyDelete