Monday, November 30, 2015

Inside & Out



I haven't done a fun, pointless post in a while. I found this on Bookfever, an excellent review and discussion blog that I follow. They stole it from another blog, Books, Biscuts, and Tea. Feel free to steal it from me. I'd love to hear your answers too!






I. Inside flap / Back of the book summaries: Too much info? Or not enough (Discuss)  

I usually read the first three lines of the description/inside flap/back summary. By then I've pretty much decided if it goes on my TBR list. If it looks interesting I'll read the rest, but mostly just skim it if it's more than 2-3 paragraphs. I don't like to much info when going into a book.


           
N. New book: What form do you want it in? Be honest: audio book, e-book, paperback, or hardcover?

Paperbacks are my absolute favorites. Hardbacks are fine but I like the simplicity and flexibility of paperbacks.


S. Scribble while you read? Do you like to write in your books, taking notes, making comments, or do you keep your books clean clean clean? (Tell us why)

I'll make notes on scrap paper if I'm planning on reviewing the book on my blog. Otherwise I like perfect, clean pages. I get mad if there are even pizza or chocolate smudges on a page. (Which happens a lot.)


I. In your best voice, read for us your favourite first sentence from a book.

That's really hard. So instead, I'll give you the first few lines of one of my all time favorite books...

 
                                    "They say the first of my kind was a woman named Alasdiar, a human raised by hawks. She learned the language of hte birds and was gifted with their form. It was a pretty myth, I admit, but few actually believe it. No record remains of her life."

                                                                  ~ Hawksong, by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes


D. Does it matter to you whether the author is male or female when you’re deciding on a book? What if you’re unsure of the author’s gender?


Not a bit. It just so happens that the majority of the authors in my favorite genres are women. But what matters most to me is voice. If you can give me a convincing character I don't care what your gender is.


E. Ever read ahead? Or have you ever read the last page way before you got there?

Guilty. I can't help it. I've never read the entire last page but I have cheated and read the last line when curiosity gets the better of me. And if there is bold text anywhere on the page, my eyes immediately go to it like a Christmas lights display. I've ruined some plot reveals that way, but I don't fault myself for it.     

 

O. Organized bookshelves, or outrageous bookshelves?

I try to keep my bookshelves organized. I really do. But with a 2 year old, I'm lucky I even have a bookshelf. In fact, most of my books are packed away until we can get a bigger place or install wall shelves. We have 3 tall book cases in the livingroom and my husband takes up 2 of them with his monstrous  boardgame collection. I'd love to have a half bookcase in the bedroom, I even have the spot for it, but that would be impossible with my 2 year old unless I'd like to restock it 10-15 times a day.


U. Under oath: have you ever bought a book based on the cover (alone)?

Almost. I don't really have that kind of money to throw around, though... So I at least read the first part of the blurb before becoming absolutely sure I want to invest in it. I do find myself "click" happy with those free Kindle books though.


T. Take it outside to read, or stay in?

Too many people and distractions outside. I prefer to be completely alone when I read. My perfect "book date" is snuggled in my bed with my dog and a cup of cocoa. Scented candles are nice too, if I'm really up for a wild Friday night. :)  
 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment